Thursday, May 1, 2014

One of these days... Feb 10, 2013

One of these days, I'm going to "settle down" and start actin' my age...but today, there's too much yet to do...and so little time.

One of these days, I'm gonna stop to think about things more, take fewer risks, and not live life by the seat of my pants...but right now, there's too much at stake!

One of these days, I'm gonna have a clean house, an immaculate yard with no weeds, and no toys strewn about to trip over...but today, there is a sweet young boy begging me to sit with him, who needs to be treasured, played with and loved. So, I sit on the floor, surrounded by puzzle pieces, cars, and trains, storing each fleeting moment in the memory vault.

One of these days, I'm gonna take a friend to dinner at a nice steakhouse and enjoy a glass of wine...but today, my son & his sweet girlfriend wanna hang out with me & have pizza. So we eat pepperoni pizza, and watch a silly movie together. And I know that I am exactly where I am supposed to be.

One of these days, I'm gonna go to the spa and enjoy a nice massage by myself...but this afternoon my daughter wants to watch a movie with me & chit-chat. So we talk about what's going on in her life and how she's overcome challenges with God's help. And then she says, "By the way, Mom, Happy Father's Day. You were there when we didn't have a dad. Thanks for helping me see that God is my Father." You know what?! I bet they don't tell you sweet things like that at any spa!

One of these days, I'm gonna learn how to make a fabulous steak, medium-rare, with all the trimmings, just the way my sweetheart likes it...but tonight I received an impromptu invitation for pizza at a local pizza place. So I go and hang out with 2 other couples that I really wanted to get to know...more than just Facebook friends. We eat, we laugh, we share intimate moments of our lives, being transparent with each other. And I leave, thanking my Father for friends who love and honor the Lord, and who challenge me to do the same.

One of these days, I'm gonna go on a great vacation, experiencing a few adventures out West on my bucket list...but today, there's a young man who needs to go school shopping. So we start the day with breakfast and conversation over pancakes & hot chocolate at Bob Evans. We talk about school, clothes, hopes for college, and how hard life is with cancer. We laugh, we cry, we hug each other, and draw strength from our Father who never leaves our side.

One of these days, I'm gonna get up before everyone else, and go for a brisk walk, watch the sunrise, and spend some time alone with my Father to recharge my batteries...but this morning I sit and listen...listen to the man I love pour his heart out in sorrow from days gone by, moments missed, and opportunities wasted. So, I hold his hand, and wipe his tears. I remind him of his true identity...that he is a treasured Prince of the Most God. And we pray together, asking our Father for continued grace and wisdom as we walk together in a broken world.

One of these days, I'm gonna get some take-out on the way home, sit on the porch with a glass of wine and enjoy the sunset...but today, one of my best friends needs my feet since cancer has removed from her the ability to use her own. So, I go run some errands for her, and then take her some flán. And together we eat, reminiscing of days gone by, we laugh and we cry...leaving nothing unsaid...relishing every moment....not knowing which one may be her last.

One of these days, I'm gonna go to the gym, actually USE the membership I paid for and take that Zumba class -whatever that is...but tonight, there's a young man who's searching for the meaning of something much more important than an exercise. He's losing his sweet mother, and needs to know why she is so strong, why she has such peace! And so, we stand outside on a bitter cold night, while he smokes half a pack, and we talk. He cries and I silently pray for the right words, and then I tell him of God's great love. And I know that I am right here, right now, for a time such as this.

One of these days, I'm gonna go get a facial...oh, that sounds so relaxing! But today, well...today is day 8 of a vigil at my dear sister's bedside. Today, I spend the day with her sons. Today, I wipe her face and arms and hands again. Today, I care for her and do everything I can to make her last moments as comfortable as possible. And tonight, I kiss her goodnight for the last time...knowing that when she wakes up, she will kick off the cancer-filled earthly body, step into her heavenly home and dance into her Savior's arms. Today is the first day in over a year that she's been able to walk without a cane, and the first day in years that she's been truly pain-free.

Yep, one of these days, I'm gonna settle down, take life a little slower and start actin' my age. One of these days, there may be time for fabulous dinners and wine, relaxing facials & spa treatments, and fun-filled adventurous vacations.

But today, I'm right where my Father has purposed me to be! Today I'm serving my family, and doing everything I can to love them well...trying to make a difference in my part of the world. Right now, there's too much at stake...too much work to be done for the Kingdom...just not enough time!

Oh Father, give me more grace...more courage...more strength to run this race with endurance. Please give me just one more day to make a difference.

No comments: